Monday, May 26, 2008

Compare/Contrast

Both the Harlem Renaissance and the Civil Rights Movement were significant time periods in black history and represent the African American culture. Both saw a "rebirth" in literary and artistic works because of the immense racial pride that was built during these times. Year after year more and more works were being published with each creators own take on African American pride. Each period saw great musicians like Louis Armstrong and Sam Cooke, artists such as, William Johnson and Robert Colescott, and writers like, Zora Neale Hurston and Lorraine Hansberry.

There were also a lot of differences in each of the periods. During the Harlem Renaissance all the works being created were showing a celebratory take on racial pride, however the Civil Rights movement saw works created in protest of discrimination and racism. Each has its own version of racial pride but one is a positive and one is negative.

What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?

A Dream Deferred, Langston Hughes


Say it loud! - I'm black and I'm proud Say it loud! - I'm black and I'm proud Say it loud! - I'm black and I'm proud Say it loud! - I'm black and I'm proud - oow!

Say it Loud I'm Black and I'm Proud, James Brown

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, really? haha good job though dan i knew you had it in you!! i saw great organization and from what i read you knew what you were "blogging" about and you spent a lot of time on this. NICEEE!

~leah